Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thursday Thirteen - 136 - 13 of My Favorite Christmas Tree Ornaments


- 1











This is one of the first Christmas ornaments I ever bought for myself. I love her as much today as the first time she took my breath away when I saw her in the store over at Halifax Shopping Center.


- 2











You will see a rather strong ballet theme among my Christmas ornaments. This Sugar Plum Fairy was another of the first ornaments I bought for myself when I worked my first job at the Halifax Simpson's in the Candy and Pastry department. I found her over at the competition, Eaton's. Simpson's and Eaton's are now things of the past, but those memories come along with this ballerina when she comes out of her wrapping.


- 3











These two ornaments come from Toronto, where I lived in my 20's and midway into my 30's. I bought the Christmas Fairy with gift money from my brother-in-law, Jeff, and I bought the Mouse King at the Ballet Boutique at the theatre where I used to work, during one of the runs of The Nutcracker.


- 4











This is one of a motherlode of gorgeous ornaments my husband Brad spoiled me with, several Christmases ago. He got them at Crabtree & Evelyn, which used to be a favorite store to gaze into, though I was incredibly allergic to the fragrance in the stores themselves.


- 5











This is a stuffed Snowman from Raymond Briggs' animated special which my sister gave me. We love The Snowman.

Beside him is another little snowman from my Best Friend Forever, Connie.


- 6











This is one of a trio of glass birds given to me when I worked as a live-in nanny in Toronto for the woman who became my dear friend Donna.


- 7











This Waltz of the Flowers ballerina was sent to me by my mother-in-law in a Toronto-to-Halifax Christmas postal delivery.


- 8











This is one of my early, just-moved-to-Toronto ornaments. Pierrots and Harlequins are big faves of mine, and I need a Harlequin for Act One from The Nutcracker, when Drosselmeyer winds up his toys for the children's party.

He's hanging out with a Christmas version of Raggedy Anne and Andy, which is actually a keychain I bought at the dollar store where I worked when we lived in Yarmouth for a few years. And beside him is the Charlie-in-the-Box from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Brad and I stumbled onto a whole set of these collectible figures at Winners here in Halifax a few years ago, for a totally crazy price.


- 9











This is a clear Ice ballerina from the Snow Kingdom whom Clara meets following the battle between the Nutcracker Prince and the Mouse King. Mom gave her to me for my first Yarmouth Christmas, when I was missing my job at the ballet so terribly. Beside her is a silver ballerina I bought a few years ago to be another dancer from the Snow Kingdom.


- 10











This golden ballerina was part of a set along with the silver dancer. She's from the Sugar Plum Fairy's kingdom. The Snowflake Fairy is from the Snow Kingdom part of The Nutcracker - I found her at Park Lane in Halifax a few years ago. As you can see, my Christmas is completely entwined with The Nutcracker.


- 11















I have a few Nutcracker decorations which aren't for the tree. I bought this wooden Nutcracker early on, before my move to Toronto. But of course he came there with me. The egg was an anniversary present to me from Brad, and stands in for the beautiful Faberge egg set in The National Ballet of Canada's version which can be seen at the Four Seasons Centre in Toronto. The Gingerbread Lady is part of a salt & pepper shaker set my mother-in-law was selling at an outdoor antiques market in Ontario. When I obviously loved it, she took it off the table and gave it to me.


- 12















Of course, for me Christmas is also tied to the Rankin Bass TV specials from my childhood, like Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, featuring Fred Astaire's Special Delivery man.


- 13











I also love blown glass ornaments like this seahorse I bought last year at Historic Properties in Halifax.

Every year I buy myself a new ornament - sometimes two. Not everything makes it onto the tree because I'd need half a dozen trees for every ornament to make it onto a branch. That might be in my future. Who knows?

My mom's tree is up and decorated upstairs, and Brad and I will get our tree up this weekend. All of these shots were taken of last year's tree. Is yours up? And what is your own favorite ornament?

Janet says Love the bird! I have a few of those, too :-)

Journeywoman says Love the Fred Astaire one.

Adelle Laudan says When I suggested we get a set of matching decorations next year, my girls gasped in horror lol

21 comments:

Janet said...

Love the bird! I have a few of those, too :-)

Journeywoman said...

Love the Fred Astaire one.

Unknown said...

Lovely ornaments. My tree is up, and decorated with a hodgepodge of decorations. Many of which are homemade from each of my kids over the years. My girls put up our tree. When i suggested we get a set of matching decorations next year, they gasped in horror lol
Happy T13!

Shelley Munro said...

What gorgeous decorations, Julia, and such wonderful memories with them. Hubby and I buy new decorations whenever we go on holiday.

Hazel said...

love the ballerinas! And the music they dance to - Sugar Plum Fairy, Nutcraker are some of my faves. Happy Christmas.

Sally said...

Love the ballet one. My mum is making it a tradition to buy my daughter an ornament each year.

Hootin Anni said...

How magical!!! I love 'em all...I ♥ Christmas.

My Thirteen is now posted...Find 'em HERE

i beati said...

diversity makes it don't you think?/I've barely started.

orneryswife said...

I also buy new ornaments each year. We generally put up more than one tree, but this year have been gone too much to want to mess with it--lots of work! Where your theme seems to be ballet oriented, I lean toward the snowmen. Fun list, and thanks for all the lovely pix! My TT is also up, my wishlist...
tm

storyteller said...

What a delightfully eclectic collection of lovely Christmas Tree ornaments filled with wonderful memories too ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
My Thursday Thirteen

Wylie Kinson said...

Ooo - Simpson's and Eaton's (they had the BEST candy counters!!) and nutcrackers, all in one post. You're making me feel my chidhood - thanks :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

This is the only reason I've ever felt like I miss out at Christmas time. Ornaments tell a story (well, many times) and convey history. We lose that when we don't collect and display them.

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

Your tree must be something people can look at for hours. I love an eclectic tree - never did care for those "decorator" style trees where everything matched. There's something truly wonderful about the memories and traditions that collected ornaments bring to the holiday.

I posted 13 Really Fun & FREE Christmas Things to Do Online. These are great for the kid in all of us!

Maria M. said...

I have to say that I love the bird too.

Akelamalu said...

They're all beautiful Julia and all with their own special memory!

Patty Reiser said...

#12 is my favorite. But then I am partial to all those Rankin & Bass movies. I have loved them since I was a kid and now I enjoy watching them with my kids.
Wishing you and your family the happiest of holidays!

MsSnarkyPants said...

Those are gorgeous! I love the Santa Claus is coming to town one!

Robin said...

What sweet ornaments. I've always wished I could have a Christmas tree, I'd have so much fun decorating it.

Unknown said...

I love the ballerina ornaments. And I laughed when I read you worked at the Halifax Simpson's story. My sister worked in the drapery department there when she was in school. And I worked across the street at the Eaton's store. They used to send me to the Christmas shop every year to help out. Maybe you bought that ornament from me one year.

VaBookworm87 said...

I love your ornaments! I'd have to say my favorite is one of Lucy stepping into the wardrobe with a bit of Narnia on the other side. I think I'll have to post it up one day :o)

If you have a chance, swing by my blog! I've given you an award :oD

Toni said...

Nobody wants to be a Charlie in the Box. It's Santa. Oh, it's Santa. ;)

Love that ornament. But the crystal ballerina is my favorite. I *love* how we attach to our ornaments with such sentiment. It's wonderful.
Blessings,
~Toni~