Friday, May 14, 2010

5 on Friday - Set 14

















For today's 5 on Friday, I'm showcasing Great Big Sea in honour of lead singer Alan Doyle. His first film opens today - Robin Hood!

Great Big Sea hails from Newfoundland, Canada's easternmost province.

For more tunes, visit Travis at Trav's Thoughts.

1 - The Old Black Rum

Well I'd drink to the Father
Or the Holy Ghost
Kneeling at the altar
Of my nightly post

And I'll raise a glass
Not the first or last
Come join me in this toast


- Great Big Sea



2 - Ordinary Day

I’ve got a smile on my face, I’ve got four walls around me
The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
I’ll win now but sometimes I’ll lose
I’ve been battered, but I’ll never bruise, it’s not so bad

And I say way-hey-hey, it’s just an ordinary day
And it’s all your state of mind
At the end of the day, you’ve just got to say
It’s all right


- Great Big Sea



3 - Run Runaway

I like black and white
Dream in black and white
You like black and white
Run runaway

See chameleon lying there in the sun
All things to everyone
Run runaway


- Slade



4 - When I'm Up (I Can't Get Down)

The night is just beginning
And then it comes on strong
It comes on strong, and I am lifted
I am lifted, I am lifted!

When I'm up I can't get down
Can't get down, can't get level
When I'm up I can't get down
Get my feet back on the ground


- Great Big Sea



5 - End of the World

It's the end of the world as we know it,
and I feel fine


- Great Big Sea



Jamie says I just love groups that know how to get an audience going. These guys are great.

Janet says Love Great Big Sea, Julia. From the moment I heard them years ago - love, love, love them!

Travis says I actually knew a couple of those tunes. This is a fun group!

5 comments:

Durward Discussion said...

I just love groups that know how to get an audience going. These guys are great. I may have to listen to the Robin Hood soundtrack since I won't be going to the movie.

Janet said...

Ooh, Jamie, I never even thought of the soundtrack to Robin Hood. Not sure if I'm going to the movie or waiting for its release on DVD, but the soundtrack...hmmm.

Love Great Big Sea, Julia. From the moment I heard them years ago - love, love, love them! Thanks for reminding me how much :)

BTW - do you know how Allan Doyle got the role in Robin Hood? I'd love to know if there's a story there.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Janet - I do indeed. When Russell Crowe was in Alberta shooting Mystery, Alaska he fell for Great Big Sea. Russell and Alan eventually met at an awards show and hit it off immediately. And since then, Alan has written songs for Russell.

When it came time to do Robin Hood, Russell called Alan and asked if he could play the lute. He plays a Greek instrument which is very similar, and said he could do it. So Alan was flown to wherever they were casting the film and read for the part. Et voila!

Janet said...

Thanks, Julia - I love stories like that. And well done, Alan!!

Travis Cody said...

I actually knew a couple of those tunes. This is a fun group!