Friday, April 22, 2011

5 on Friday - Set 63



Day 19 of the A to Z Challenge brings us to Travis' latest version of 5 Degrees of Musical Progression - and to the letter S.










For this game, all of those participating in his musical meme begin with an idea and then create a musical set that meanders from one leap-frogging aspect to another - but keeps the selections connected.




Travis wanted us all to start with Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown. Here's where I went with it.

First of all, it's Easter weekend, and my mind naturally leans toward this rather intense holy holiday. Particularly since I'm just about to head into the latest major revisions for my vampire novel (thanks, Travis! for your part in this momentous job.)

Now, you may ask - what do vampire story revisions and The Lord's resurrection have to do with one another?

There's a clue in my Sidebar Art Gallery this month. Scroll down past the Followers section to view.

If I told you that my vampire story is basically a superhero origin story, it will be a little clearer. So, I've taken the idea of a sundown being the Dark Moment we writers put our characters through, and filter it through the ordeal and transformation which all superheroes endure.

So for this week's 5 on Friday, and for the A to Z Challenge, here are five Saviour showtunes that start with S.

1 - Save the People - Godspell

When wilt thou save the people?
Oh God of mercy, when?
Not kings and lords, but nations
Not thrones and crowns
But men


- Schwartz / Tebelak



2 - Simon Zealotes - Jesus Christ Superstar

Christ, you know I love you
Did you see I waved?
I believe in you and God
So tell me that I'm saved


- Lloyd Webber / Rice



3 - Seven Deadly Virtues - Camelot

You'll never find a virtue
Unstatus-ing my quo
Or making my Beelzebubble burst

Let others take the high road
I will take the low
I cannot wait to rush in
Where angels fear to go

With all those seven deadly virtues
Free and happy little me
Has not been cursed


- Lerner / Loewe



4 - Stars - Les Miserables

He knows his way in the dark
Mine is the way of the Lord
And those who follow the path of the righteous
Shall have their reward
And if they fall
As Lucifer fell
The flame
The sword!


- Boublil / Kretzmer / Schonberg



5 - Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat - Guys and Dolls

The people all said sit down
Sit down, you're rockin' the boat

And the devil will drag you under
By the sharp lapel of your checkered coat
Sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down
Sit down, you're rockin' the boat


- Frank Loesser

4 comments:

Linda said...

I love all of these songs and I don't care how you got to them either!

Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar have always been two of my favorites but then you throw in Camelot and Guys and Dolls and well ... I'm just one very happy lady at the moment!

I've yet to actually see Les Miserables but I will one of these days.

Have a very happy Easter weekend!

Durward Discussion said...

Deliverance in disturbance indeed. I always loved the line about celibacy being very restful now and then. All the songs are great.

And tell Linda Les Miserable is a must. Tears will fall!!!

Mike Golch said...

I really enjoyed the Guys and Galls sitdown your rocking the boat.it has been a while since I heard this tune. Big Time Hug.

Travis Cody said...

This is a really outstanding progression. You've seamlessly interwoven the several different themes.

And you're welcome for any small contribution I made to getting your Vampire project finished.