Monday, April 4, 2011

Poetry Train Monday - 185 - When He First Appeared at The Bottom of the Stairs


Here we are at Day 3 of the A to Z Challenge.





Monday is poetry day here at A Piece of My Mind, so I'm reposting a found poem from a year-long project I did two years ago.


This poem is fashioned from a diary entry I made on Jan. 12th, 1980 when I was 15.


C is for Clark Gable


When He First Appeared at The Bottom of the Stairs


Michelle and I
Watched
Star Trek - it was Charlie X

That's so
Funny too
Because
Every Friday night
Michelle and I
Guess
What episode Star Trek will be
And Michelle had guessed
Charlie X

Mom, Dad
Michelle
Connie and I
Went
To the Rebecca Cohn
This evening
To see
Gone With the Wind

So many people came

At intermission, the
Line-up in the washroom was
A mile long

The movie was astounding

It overwhelmed me

Vivien Leigh
Was
So good
As Scarlett

What an actress

Clark Gable, of course
Was
Terrific

When he first appeared
At
The bottom of the staircase

At Tara
During the barbeque

The whole audience
Sighed
And burst
Into applause

- Julia Smith

© - Jan. 11, 2009

Original diary entry - Jan. 12, 1980













For more poetry, Ride the Poetry Train!

7 comments:

Ellie Garratt said...

I really like what you did with this post - very clever!

Ellie Garratt

Unknown said...

Gone With The Wind is one of my all-time favorite movies! Thanks for following my blog. Looking forward to more of your A-Z posts!!

Naquillity said...

Gone With the Wind is one of my favorite movie classics. your poem was a nice tribute. i can't imagine watching Gone With the Wind in a movie theatre though. i can definitely picture the line being that long. hope all is well. have a great day.

jabblog said...

Oh, yes, Clark Gable, false teeth and all! What a great film, though:-)

Eliza said...

Great post. Do you know I've never seen Gone with The Wind, I must watch it sometime.

Deborah Hale said...

I can almost hear that collective sigh and applause from the audience....ahhhh

Congratulations on the Powerful woman Writer Award, Julia!

Travis Cody said...

I'm in that small minority that is completely unimpressed by Gone with the Wind. I didn't care for the book or the movie.

It's clever how you shift the emphasis and inflections to turn that little bit of prose into a poem.